Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The MBA

The problem is, I picked a masters of business administration as my masters program, rather than something more up my alley, such as a degree in metaphysics or home economics. I figured it would be a sensible business move, and the timing is best now since the little guy is in kindergarten. Added to my bachelor's in information technology, it would make the remaining years of my working career easier and more interesting.

The problem is, it's been 5 classes about finances, not my primary area of interest. Coupled with a major life shift by moving from NM to VA, a difficult job made harder. Trying to do classes online, when I am clearly an in-classroom kinda gal....not a lot of fun for me. Flexible, sure, but not very structured. And not at all like the computer classes I took earlier, where I was already familiar with the concepts and it was a primary area of interest for me. This stuff is good to know, will inevitably help me for any company I work for, but it's not something that comes naturally for me. Now I know I will NEVER be an accountant or finance manager.

The problem is the last two classes have been duds. Directed study with an online course, where you report to an instructor, submitting your work on a weekly basis. If the first instructor was judged by her performance of the class I had with her, she would lose her job as an instructor forever. She is hands down the worse I've ever had. Did not submit my attendance on a weekly basis, even though I posted it. The result: my financial funding was withdrawn from the school by my lender. Sure, they got it back, after going through some hoops, but it never should have been. Then, no correspondence from her for the next 4 weeks, except where I called her at her home. She never answered any of my online questions, never graded my work, never turned it back in as graded. Her excuse: she switched computers from a pc to a mac. Poor and unacceptable excuse. She never should have been paid. The current instructor was missing in action for 3 weeks, and finally checked in with a reply and graded 3 weeks of work all together at one time, rather than on a weekly basis as expected and required. Now here we are down to the wire, the class ended yesterday. I am almost done, just have two more things to turn in, both of which are almost done. Poor time management on my part, I am the first to admit.

The problem is, it doesn't flow easily. So far, there has been a constant flow of disruption and inconsistencies. In a system that is supposed to have the kinks worked out, the instructors are failing miserably. I take full responsibility for my part, no mistake about that. But, even if I were to lag behind at all, this total system failure would never happen if the rest of the parts were working properly. Not a lot of incentive for me when there are roadblocks every step of the way. And, kind of an expensive experiment, if you ask me, at the current cost of $1,800 every 6 weeks!

But, only 5 more courses to go, out of 13. Well past the hump point, which serves as a source of inspiration. Too far in to stop now, have to keep looking forward.

The problem is, this experience is in no way a good example for anyone around me that seeks to pursue higher education. It should be an effort where the student and instructor both give a lot, learn a lot and something worthwhile is attained in the process. It should not be this constant struggle to get instructors to do their part.

The problem is, we as a nation need to encourage -- and demand, yes, demand! -- that our children seek higher education when they are young and have no family demands, such as work, children, family. This movement would only serve the world in the best possible manner, as those individuals would have more knowledge and be better equipped to handle the expectations the world places before them. Imagine a world where folks were not allowed to collect free monies from the government to use for drugs and alcohol and to support an endless train of children...because they knew they could obtain more valuable information and become more resourceful and contributing members of society. No more generation after generation of guaranteed handouts "just because", when there is no physical or mental obstruction in the way. And this starts way before the college years. We need to raise our expectations in the schools from preschool to the senior year. No more free rides, no more passing kids thru just to keep the school ratings high. While I did not like some of what the nuns expected out of us all, "way back when", their consistent training has served all of us well.

the soapbox. all this to say I'm exhausted and frustrated. at what is and what could be.

but today marks the end of course #8 of 13, so yay for that, for what it's worth.
Not enough thanks and hugs can show how much I appreciate the patience and support of my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. MBA.... ?
    My Bad Ass??

    fyi- todays word verification to post this comment was "hango".
    I always find them amusing and somehow related to my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! Have a super fabulous extraordinary day! I am!