Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Remembering on your birthday


Catherine Patricia Nickless
December 16, 1943 -- July 9, 2007

Here is the 2nd birthday I can’t call you on the phone to wish you the best birthday of all. It is with some sadness in my heart because I can't just go by and see you, but more importantly with peace and happiness that I remember you. Some days I see your picture and have the feelings of “I can’t believe you really aren’t here” and then there are other days when I know it’s okay, because you really are still here, just in a different kind of way.

I love you and miss you.



doing what she loved best...laughing


A face we saw often. Sure, there were other faces and other times, but this is the one forever imprinted on my memory.

She loved to have fun, we would go to Kings Dominion and amusement parks whenever we had the money and vacation time.

Always one for a great joke!

We all remember how much she loved to hold a baby. Always. If anyone could bring a smile to her face, it was a baby.

Mom holding my baby, the first time they got to meet, when he was 6 months old.

Ahhh, we suspect that egg nog was a little "spicy"! Here with another beautiful woman, Grandma Ridgell. We love and miss both of you! A few of my fond childhood memories was when we all got to go to dinner at great-grandma's. She made room around her table for all of us kids, had the best mashed potatoes, but most of all, she always treated Mom special, that I do remember!

Now, I wasn't on this trip. I can't believe she actually went on a ski lift...of course, it was to go to Ghost Town, an Amusement park!

She was a hard worker, and I remember how often she'd be up at night working on something, whatever had to be done, after working hard all day. Here, it was cleaning fish after the guys brought back fresh blue fish. Sometimes it was a bushel or two of blue crabs, sometimes cookies for a school party. She always delivered, and never complained.

The reason we don't have as many pictures as I would have preferred or liked...because she was the one taking so many of the pictures!
Lesson for all of us: let others take your picture, TOO, for those loved ones you leave behind.


Mom, may you be resting in peace. You are in my heart, always.
As Christopher often reminds me, we miss Grandma Pat. She's up with the angels.
Yes, baby, she's watching over all of us. I still feel her around me, there are still the "signs" that magically appear from time to time.

May all those who knew and loved her also find peace in their hearts. Especially in this holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. She was special.... so much so that her creators wanted her back early. They must've needed a Director for a new daycare in heaven!! Happy Birthday Patsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was, and I hope she's having a happy birthday. Love you Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! Have a super fabulous extraordinary day! I am!