Monday, July 21, 2008

It's all about the angels




Every night we have a ritual bedtime prayer, which includes "angels watch over you"... And my baby, he loves his rituals.

Saturday night we went to Red Robin for dinner, and Christopher got a green RR balloon to take home. He adamantly refused to let me hold it, because he remembered that in the past I have let them go and fly away (my balloons, of course, never his!). When I have let my balloons go on purpose (and while he had his own in hand), well, the first time he cried a lot, as he did the first time he accidentally let his own go. So, then we told him that the balloons just flew up high so the angels could play with them. Of course, he was 3 at that time and now he's 5 and he does a great job holding onto his balloons. Well, on the way home Saturday, he kept bringing up about angels, like where are they, how can we see them, who can see them, why can only babies see them and no one else, if other people can see they why can't I, where are they living, what are they doing, are they looking at us now, can they see what we are doing, are they following me around, can they see me if I am sleeping, are they sleeping too, what do they eat, do they eat when we eat, are they just watching out for me, do they like what I do, and MORE! 'tis the age for asking questions. Bad Mommy, the other day I actually asked him, "did you know the human brain weighs 8 lbs." He never missed a beat in his own line of questioning, but I enjoyed the humor.

The next morning, he returned to his angel questioning, so I told him about the times when he was a little baby and he would lay on the bed next to us waving at something in the air, laughing, as though he was having a conversation or enjoying the antics of someone or something. He was intrigued, and it was a happy baby memory for me. He was such a great baby, never crying unless he was over tired or hungry, and that is the truth. People were secretly jealous (well, not so secretly, as we were reminded on a daily basis of "He doesn't cry?! He sleeps thru the night?!, and so on) at the time, but they now need to know that while he often sleeps thru the night now, he spends his entire day asking questions and analyzing things and reviewing his stored knowledge. I'm a little worried about when he starts getting into the grades where they actually learn history and geography and science, all the things that catholic grade school kinda skimmed or ignored when we were kids, and so I'm pretty stupid in those areas. I'll actually have to do his homework for myself as he does it just so I'll be able to answer his questions.

The other day we took Maya into the vet for her shots and nail trimming, and he was VERY interested in how the vet tech used a stethescope to check her heartbeat. He's been interested in them for awhile, as we all were as kids, but he always asks the doctor if he can hear his own heartbeat each time we go in for him. So, he asked the vet tech if he could hear Maya's heartbeat, and he was nice to oblige. He listened intently, and then asked, "what's that train noise?" We thought about getting him a stethescope of his own, for what harm could that be, and they are inexpensive to find, less than $20 these days for a basic one. Now, we know he'll use it to listen to everything, including his pets, if he thinks he can get away with it. Hmmmmm.

As for angels, I do believe in them. I've had some really awesome ones who have protected me along the way and have guided me, and I appreciate that. And now when Christopher asks about when he was born, which seems to be often these days, we tell him "His Story" about how Ginger had him in his belly and when she went to the hospital when he was ready to come out, then Brenda was waiting for him to take him home with her for a little while, until Mommy and Papa could get there. Then, the angels told Mommy and Papa where to find him and then we went to Brenda's to go get him and take him home. In my heart, that is how it happened, so that is what he knows. He smiles when he gets to hear his story, or when he now tells us either the shortened or much longer version, or when he just wants to hear a snippet whenever it comes up.

We love our baby, and we are so glad the angels helped us find him when they did...

1 comment:

  1. Six more days and you better have your angels lined up on the dash!!! WOOHOO... East coast here you come!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! Have a super fabulous extraordinary day! I am!