Thursday, January 29, 2009

Recipe: Wacky Cake

I used to do yard work for an elderly couple back in my teenage years, Sue and Don Powers. Her birthday was on Valentine's day, and he was just 3 days older than her. I met them when they had turned 76 years old, and she was an active gardener and a member of the local flower club. He would still use the tiller and till up their garden and help her plant the vegetables, as well as a border of marigolds to keep the bunnies out. I also learned how to french braid my hair from Mrs. Power. Whenever I wanted it braided, she'd do it for me before I left for the day and she showed me how to make the braids work. It was also here that I attempted to smoke my first -- and last -- pack of cigarettes. All the kids were doing it, it was supposed to be so cool, so I bought a pack and would try to smoke whenever I was working here because it was away from the family and I could practice without people making fun of me. I think it lasted me about a month. By that time, I had decided I didn't like to smoke and threw away the last few cigarettes in the pack, that had probably gone stale anyway. I learned a lot from Mrs. Power, this little tiny woman who always had a smile and something nice to say, and she'd even fix great lunches while I was there working. I'd dig up her iris bed and hibernate some of the bulbs, then plant them back in rows as she wanted for the next season. Iris bulbs are very prolific, by the way. She had an awesome rose garden that she would mostly tend to, but I'd do the weeds and other trimming around it, and clean up the debris. And she had other flowers and projects around her property that was over an acre big (hard to guage now, almost 30 years later), but nicely landscaped. Mr. Power was usually also around, but he'd watch TV while we were going these projects, and then he'd come out and do whatever she asked him to do. She also had a mint garden, which was mostly enclosed on the back side of the house. "Mostly" because mint has a tendency to jump barriers and the roots can grow down several inches and reappear across the yard and continue the spread. I took some of her mint roots and transplanted them at Mom's house, and also at Isabella's house, where mint continues to grow at both.

Mrs. Power had this odd little recipe she'd tell me about, and then showed me to bake when I was just 16. You don't use a mixing bowl, you just mix it in the baking pan.

Wacky Cake by Sue Power, 1980

Sift together:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cocoa

Sift flour into a greased and waxed/lined cake pan. Make 3 holes in the flour.

Put the following into the three separate holes (i.e., butter in one, vanilla in another, vinegar in the last):
5 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp vinegar

Over all, pour 1 cup cold water.

Mix well, getting all the corners.

Bake directly in baking pan in 350 degree F. oven for about 40 minutes, checking with toothpick or cake tester when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting! Have a super fabulous extraordinary day! I am!